Sunday, August 7, 2016

Just a Quick Anecdote from Me

    Twelve months ago, my first time in Haiti, one of my greatest, yet most irrational, fears had been realized. I hadn't been in the country for even 16 hours, yet there I stood in a home for sick and dying babies. Facing a sea of cribs, occupied by living, breathing, delicate babies, I selected my target. My discomfort appeared obvious to anyone who saw me attempt to hold the baby. With my arms locked, I held a baby like Rafiki from the Lion King, because I had no clue what else to do. The infant began to cry, and from that moment on, the nuns who run the nursery constantly surveyed me to ensure I didn't cause any serious problems.
     
     By the end of my stay at the nursery, I had somewhat successfully fed a toddler, sorta changed a newborn's diaper and kinda bottle-fed an infant. Due to my inexperience, I would mostly call the morning a success. On only on occassion did a nun have to regain control of a situation for me. While feeding a 9 month old boy, I learned that babies can't breathe while they drink formula (in retrospect, this makes sense to me). The nun slapped me in the hand with a wooden spoon she carried in her apron and removed the child from me. Lesson learned, I guess.
   
     As scrappy as my paternity skills may have been a year ago, I found myself excited to go back to the home for sick and dying babies on my return to Haiti this year. Last Tuesday, there I stood again, facing an array cribs, occupied by the crying fragile newborns I once feared. Armed with the experiences I recieved while working in the nursery at Woodridge, my confidence to handle what the day brought felt unparalleled. I dove right in, harnessing my knowledge of how to properly hold, change and feed babies. The morning ended on a much better note than last year. No major issues, no nuns surveying me, and best of all: zero slaps by an angry, wooden spoon weilding, Sister.
     
     Personally, I found my personal growth from my first year to my second as a large improvement. When realizing this, a lot other comparisons of my growth over the past 12 months became evident to me. This year has been an important one for me, and in reflection, I learned that events and experiences are the engine behind personal growth and maturation. I felt like my Junior year officially began once I arrived home from Haiti last year. To me, the realization of how much I've positively changed is a beautiful way to conclude this year, and start a new one.

          - Robby Underdal

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for sharing Robby. So proud of how you challenged yourself to grow outside your comfort zone as well as how you've been able look back and celebrate your growth.

    ReplyDelete